Sunday, November 20, 2005

Murdered the whole month of April just to take May Off

So yesterday was a fairly good day, up a bunch of loot playing the $100 games. At some point I'll actually be bankrolled for these games again and won't be playing with short money, but for now I'm willing to gamble it up a little bit.

I was only playing two tables, down from my usual four to six, but was experimenting with playing a little bit more LAG pre and post flop. I have always been aggressive post flop but I typically don't reraise preflop unless I know I have my opponent in a bad spot and can get him to commit a lot of chips. On these two tables I was raising and reraising a fair range of hands in a lot of different positions, trying to upset the rockishness of the other players.

The best thing about playing this way is that reasonable players start making horrible plays against you.

Case in point:

***** Hand History for Game (?) *****
$100 PL Omaha - Saturday, November 19, 23:01:16 EDT 2005
Table Table 65090 (No DP) (Real Money)
Seat 2 is the button
Total number of players : 10
Seat 1: pesnyary ( $114.20 )
Seat 2: bestlucky ( $108.65 )
Seat 5: gopherajg ( $100 )
Seat 9: Hero ( $363.58 )
Seat 6: Turnis ( $66.30 )
Seat 10: OBEH30 ( $320.60 )
Seat 3: chinpokermon ( $90.80 )
Seat 8: NYCbuddha ( $100 )
Seat 4: a8poker ( $75.30 )
Seat 7: ddeeff ( $81.20 )
chinpokermon posts small blind [ $0.50 ].
a8poker posts big blind [ $1 ].

Holecards:
Dealt to Hero [ ]
RAISE gopherajg, $3.50

His raise under the gun probably means a big pair like KK or AA, even possibly QQ. I am certain he would not raise jacks, a run or any other hand here.

CALL Turnis, $3.50
FOLD ddeeff
FOLD NYCbuddha
RAISE Hero , $15.50

Why raise? A few reasons. I have been reraising a ton of hands in and out of position. If I call here and smash a flop with two hearts and/or a queen, I am going to give away my hand somewhat. It will be much easier for him to put me on a set of queens or a heart draw and fold / call as appropriate. I'm basically taking a shot here at gaining control of the pot knowing he will not likely reraise. If he has AA and choses to go with it, I'll probably fold. My hand isn't strong enough to run up against AA against a small stack.

FOLD OBEH30
FOLD pesnyary
FOLD bestlucky
FOLD chinpokermon
FOLD a8poker
CALL gopherajg, $12
CALL Turnis, $12

It's clear here that he doesn't have AA. I am certain he has KK or possibly another QQ.

Flop:
[ ]
CHECK gopherajg

He thinks for a while and checks. He either has a set or a flush. Either way I want to play for his stack.

CHECK Turnis

Now this is interesting. The second player also thinks for a bit and checks. It is possible either one of them flopped a set, a flush, or even the nut straight. The pot is approximately $50 on the flop and this guy only has $50 behind. If he has ANY of these hands he should be open pushing here. 3-handed he is likely to have the best hand here.

BET Hero , $45.60

Again, I represent strength with a strong bet when I am very very strong. Too many people slowplay strong hands and win small pots or lose big ones. In this case I have a feeling I can get both of them to push in their entire stacks. I happen to know that no straight flush is possible since I have the six of hearts.

CALL gopherajg, $45.60

What an odd call. The guy has about $85 left in front of him and he smooth calls the flop in a $100 pot. What hands could he be doing with this?

Knowing this is party poker, it could be a set, the straight, or a flush. It's possible that he might smooth call here with air and push the turn but the pot is too big already and I don't think he is sophisticated enough to make that bet, even if the conditions were right (we'd both have to have large stacks).

Turnis: damn
FOLD Turnis

Well, I guess he folded the straight. If he wouldn't call here with a set then he needs to re-up his retard medication.

Turn:
[ ]
ALL-IN gopherajg

What could he be pushing here that he wouldn't push the flop with? If I have air on the flop I am certainly not going to call an all in, but I am also not *that* likely to bluff at that flop, even three handed (there is the remote possibility of the naked ace bluff). I also cannot fold for his last $40 in a $190 pot if the board pairs, so he is not going to win in that situation either. If I have a worse flush than him, I am probably forced to call the flop but I may fold the turn. In any case, it's a terrible bet and it happens over and over.

CALL Hero , $38.90

River:
[ ]
gopherajg shows [ ] a flush king high .
Hero shows [ ] a flush ace high .
Hero wins $214 from the main pot with a flush ace high with ace kicker .

He got a little bit cold decked here, but he played it terribly. If he wanted to maximize his wins and minimize his losses, he should have either bet or checkraised the flop. His check-call turn push is the worst possible play.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home