Tuesday, June 13, 2006

Done-zo

So my $500 in rakeback money went nowhere and I start a new job tomorrow.

I could sit here and moan about bad luck and all that crap but when it all comes down to it, I put my entire bankroll on the line and lost out of a foolish sense of pride and frustration.

A few days ago, in one of the irc poker rooms, I posted the link to my previous post and was laughed at by a couple resident 2+2 jackasses. "You threw away that money" they said, "If I ever lost $20,000 in a night I think I'd kill myself". Personally I've never been too hung up on money. As long as my bills are paid and my stomache is full, everything is cool with me. I can't say that losing $20,000 didn't affect me; it certainly did, but it wasn't losing $20,000. It was going broke. As long as I am still in the game I have massive earning potential. Everytime I was taking a rational shot at a bigger game I kept this in mind. Sit down, understanding that I've effectively lost the $1000 or $2000 I'm buying in for already, and see if I can make a good day a great day.

I've remarked to Beset several times that the one thing I really need in my life is a wife. I have no real family in the place I live, and the people I've considered friends in the area have turned out to be far less. It'd be nice, on occasion, to forcibly remove me from the computer on those rare nights I feel that suffering a loss is the worst thing that can possibly happen.

Unfortunately this means I'm done with poker, at least for a few months. I'm going to go hump some $10 an hour job, deal with people I can't stand, and get up at 7:00 am every day just to get by.

I don't think I can effectively play at the <$100 buy-in levels anymore. It really shouldn't matter, but the lowest levels on both party and stars are full of loose-passive players. This means that, while pushing small edges is good since you'll often be in multiway pots, you never ever have fold equity. Someone is always prepared to call you with the 4 high flush. The only way I can manage to play these levels is to 10 table, and even then I am bored as fuck.

As a result, I will have to save until I have at least $1000 to throw on party and will probably not be posting on 2+2 or this blog for quite a while. If any of you rich bastards out there wanna entertain the idea of a staking arrangement, I am all fucking ears. PM TheRempel on 2+2 .

Peace, bitches.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, I feel your pain, but starting over at the lowest levels is what you have to do. That and bankroll management. If you can grind back into the higher games, you may convince a backer that you have the dedication that will see you through future downswings. Live and learn. Good luck.

7:27 PM  
Blogger TheRempel said...

Yeah, that just isn't going to happen. It's not about bankroll management. The $25 and $50 games are certainly beatable for decent sums of money, but it is such a different game from 'normal' PLO that I believe playing that low hurts my style in higher gamers.

My bankroll management skills are generally very good. I don't make a habit of sitting down with 10 buy-ins, if you've made any attempt to actually read my previous posts you'll see this.

6:24 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are obviously upset with what happened, but that won't change the past. I did not comment to make fun of your situation as I have been in your shoes and that is how I recovered. If you want to grind it out, I will throw you a bone. Again, good luck.

9:52 AM  
Blogger TheRempel said...

If you are genuinely suggesting a backing arrangement, please either PM me on 2+2 or email me at cardplaya72@gmail.com and we can talk.

If not, I appreciate your comments and know what you're saying.

4:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home