Thursday, July 27, 2006

Lazy is the new Lazy

Current BR = $3559.09

Soooo, since my last post a lot of stuff has happened. I've been playing 3000+ hands per day on average and have been lazy in relation to everything else.

On June 15 or therabouts I started working at FutureShop. For non-Canadians, FutureShop is a Canadian version of BestBuy. For the first week I was stuck in a windowless backroom reading training manuals. It stunk. I talked to my manager every day about actually filling out my new hire forms and he stalled me every time. By the second week I was out on the floor dealing with customers and was appalled by the lack of organisation and knowledge of FutureShop staff. Nearly every employee there, especially the managers, are completely clueless fucking morons. The only emphasis is to push product service plans on customers whether they want them or not.

June 28th I woke up extremely sick and with no voice. I ended up AIM'ing a buddy and getting him to call in for me late in the day. Note that I was six hours late for work and nobody even called. I spent two days in the hospital, heavily medicated, and was finally able to take to my manager on 30th. He told me to talk to my doctor and get back to him when I'd be able to come back to work. Meanwhile, I hadn't been paid. My pay was supposed to have been deposited on the 30th and nothing had happened. Given I had no poker income at this point (my staking deal specified no cashouts), I was fairly stressed as a result. The Manager, Scott McClelland, told me that I would definitely be paid by Tuesday of the following week.

By the following Friday I had spoken to my doctor and had been given the go ahead to go back. I still hadn't been paid so I again spoke to Scott and told him the situation; I'd be happy to come back but wasn't going to work for free, they could either courier me a cheque or guarantee payment within three days by direct deposit, or I would walk. To this date I have yet to be paid and have declined to go back.

Pokerwise, the end of June and the beginning of July sucked ass. I have apparantly gotten terrible at NL or I was running worse than I have ever seen someone run. I will not be playing NL again until I can devote some time to serious study.

Last thursday the BR was at $1200 or so. Friday I lost $200. Saturday I had a fever or heatstroke and didn't play. Sunday I did a 'rampage' at $50 PLO, ran it up to $300, moved that to two $100 tables, and ended up winning about $1200 on the day. Monday I won about $150 after a couple of sessions. Tuesday I ran superhot and won $1100 again, pushing the BR up over $3K.

Yesterday I had the nightmare variance session from hell. Started the day playing 3 $100 tables and 4 $50's, won $400 very quickly, then went back to even after two or three more hours, mostly missing big draws and misplaying a couple hands against shortstacks. Playing against shorties that float the flop a lot is probably the most infuriating study on pushing thin edges you can imagine. At about 2:00 am all my tables broke and I ended up playing HU and three handed with a few of the same players on four or five tables. An hour of cold decks later and I was stuck about $500. Luckily I rebounded and by 4:00 am I managed to book a small $220 win for the day.

Here's a hand that amazed me on several counts:

***** Hand History for Game (?) *****
$100 PL Omaha - Wednesday, July 26, 23:58:32 ET 2006
Table Choco Chips (No DP) (Real Money)
Seat 9 is the button
Total number of players : 10
Seat 3: crusader3 ( $141.47 )
Seat 4: partyskin18 ( $105.95 )
Seat 5: fnords ( $89.30 )
Seat 6: jordanflug ( $224.93 )
Seat 9: Hero ( $219.35 )
Seat 10: locomosquito ( $60.58 )
Seat 8: madfishman ( $77.36 )
Seat 1: Darmuid ( $57 )
Seat 7: ping2331 ( $19 )
Seat 2: DMacFive ( $25.30 )
locomosquito posts small blind [ $0.50 ].
Darmuid posts big blind [ $1 ].

Holecards:
Dealt to Hero [ ]
FOLD DMacFive
FOLD crusader3
FOLD partyskin18
FOLD fnords
CALL jordanflug, $1
CALL ping2331, $1
FOLD madfishman
RAISE Hero , $4

This is a pretty loose raise. You'll notice I also didn't raise the full pot size. For many reasons I like to make these smallish raises preflop and keep the pot somewhat small on the flop.

FOLD locomosquito
FOLD Darmuid
CALL jordanflug, $3
CALL ping2331, $3

Flop: (Pot: $13.5)
[ ]
CHECK jordanflug
BET ping2331, $12.85
CALL Hero , $12.85
RAISE jordanflug, $30.70

This is an extremely weird raise. This particular player is extremely tight but would never do this weird smallish raise with the nuts. He would either just call hoping for a safe turn card or he'd raise the pot. In other worse, he never has 79 here. He would never raise two pair (even with a draw, like 89TJ, and there's no flush draw out, so he has to have a set.


ALL-IN ping2331

CALL Hero , $17.85

Turn: (Pot: $87.75)
[ ]
CHECK jordanflug
BET Hero , $50

Money! Why don't I bet the full pot? Because if I'm wrong and he did happen to raise the flop with a bare 79 I want to get some value out of him. If he does have a set he's getting incorrect odds to call anyway.


CALL jordanflug, $50

River: (Pot: $187.75)
[ ]
ALL-IN jordanflug

WTF? This is not a small bet. He has close to a pot-sized bet left, and as I've said previously he is an extremely tight player post flop. This bet just doesn't make any sense. I felt like he would have been happy to get it all in on the turn with a set + flush draw, especially since I could easily be semi-bluffing the turn. If he flopped the nut straight and hit a backdoor flush, he would not have minraised the flop. He is most aggro on the flop of all streets. I couldn't think of a single combination of cards that has me beat and so, despite his stats (his river aggression is pretty low) I felt like I had to call.


ALL-IN Hero

jordanflug shows [ ] three of a kind tens .
ping2331 shows [ ] a straight six to ten .
Hero shows [ ] a straight seven to jack .
jordanflug wins $5.58 from side pot #2 with three of a kind tens .
Hero wins $400.60 from side pot #1 with a straight seven to jack .
Hero wins $55.60 from the main pot with a straight seven to jack .

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was wondering where you were. Glad to see that you are able to grind some out. Great read on that hand.

Good luck.

9:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home